There is a general feeling that we should be moving towards renewable energy. Solar provides a clean, reliable and highly available source of renewable energy. One way homeowners could effectively harvest energy from the sun is to install solar panels on top of their own roofs. Unfortunately, these solar panels don’t score well in the looks department. As a result, many homeowners will skip the idea of installing these units. Their bulky appearance is too much for them. Enter Tesla Solar Roof.
In 2016, Tesla unveiled its new solar roof tiles that are actually functional solar panels. The company has been working on this product for some time and it features textured glass tiles integrated with solar cells. The tiles are actually aesthetically pleasing; you could call them sexy. They mimic the look of high-end roofing materials such as slate and clay shingles.
The tiles come in four flavors Textured Glass, Slate Glass, Tuscan Glass and Smooth Glass. The good thing about these tiles is that they blend in perfectly and one could even be fooled into thinking there is no solar panelling on the roof at all.
Pros of Choosing Tesla’s Solar Tiles
- Tesla knows that looks do matter and took its time to design a gorgeous-looking product.
- These new solar roof tiles are apparently as durable as asphalt shingles. They can be walked on and stand up to the elements as well as other comparable roofing materials. The toughness of the glass used in their construction makes them resilient. They will thus theoretically be able to withstand damage from hail or even debris such as fallen tree branches.
- These tiles could potentially save you the money you use to pay for electricity from the grid. The solar shingles can come with a Powerwall 2 home battery that you use to store solar energy during the day to power your home at night.
- Environmentally friendly. Solar is a clean energy source. The new solar shingles ensure that homeowners use an energy source that is sustainable and environment-friendly.
- Perhaps the most important consideration everyone is thinking about is the cost. Sola tiles are expensive to manufacture and install, making roof replacement to Tesla’s option quite a costly affair. Musk, the CEO of Tesla was vague when pressed about the price tag of the solar tiles system. If you are thinking of installing the new solar tiles roof just because you will save on your monthly energy bill, you might want to re-do your math again.
- While this is a promising system, it is relatively new. It, therefore, has not been tried and tested and there are unforeseen issues that will occur with the product. While there is no problem in being an early adopter in the tech industry, you do not want to be in a position where you are the lab rat for an untested product. You will be the unfortunate customer that will have to deal with unforeseen problems with the solar tiles. All of these make the new Solar tiles by Tesla a risky investment.
Making the Best Choice
If you live in a high-income area with inflated energy costs and lots of sunlight, opting for Tesla Solar Shingles may make sense. If not, solar panels are the obvious choice for those who want to invest in solar energy to save money. Lastly, if you just want to save money on your utility bills without making a significant investment, consider a new, better-insulated roof.
High Performance Restoration LLC
6500 Preston Rd #201Frisco, TX 75034